Antigua - Beyond the beach
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why fire Gary Nelson

+4
jc
queen
antiguan
Admin
8 posters

Go down

Why fire Gary Nelson Empty Why fire Gary Nelson

Post  Admin Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:58 am

As the person starting this forum, I can tell you that i have felt that there are many issues we face here in Antigua and Barbuda that are not given enough discussion and have felt for some time that there needed to be an online forum where people could speak about issues. The news today about Gary Nelson being fired was just motivation i needed to start this forum. Why the heck was this man fired? The Antigua Sun article makes it sound like Gary felt that he and his force (and the country) would be better off if the Commissioner of Police had more power to run his police force. IT seems as though the Police Service Commission actually runs things. Looks like Gary went behind their back to the PM asking him to make changes to the Constitution so that the PSC could me left out of the process. This didn't go down well and they got rid of him pretty quickly. I get the feeling that the PM and the other guys at the top didn't like this Canadian questioning the way things are done here on this island. Does anyone else read this like that:
http://www.antiguasun.com/paper/?as=view&sun=322211076008292008&an=273347106108282008&ac=Local

Admin
Admin

https://antigua.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Why fire Gary Nelson Empty Re: Why fire Gary Nelson

Post  antiguan Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:44 am

they fire the man because he wanted change and wanted to do things properly. "what was wrong would be made right" YA RIGHT!

antiguan

Back to top Go down

Why fire Gary Nelson Empty Nelson

Post  queen Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:54 pm

Just want to say, that i think this forum is a great idea....overheard at the airport senior cop in plain clothes "No white man can come here and tell us what to do, we run things (psc)"......nuff said. That is the main problem in antigua, most Antiguans dont like white people, they put up with them up to a point.The other reason i think they dont want Nelson is because he is against corruption and the bobol that is going on in the force.
And school children say that he was getting close to nailing the main importer of guns into this part of the Caribbean...and if this is so, some politician is involved and politicians here run the police force....so it's a no win scene for Nelson and the people of Antigua...

queen

Back to top Go down

Post  jc Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:13 am

This letter was printed in Saturday's Sun...
------------------------------

"Dear Editor:

Upon reading the news that Gary Nelson was fired from his post as commissioner, a chill went up my back. To me, it represents the resistance to change that is rampant in this nation. For stepping out of the box and stepping on toes, he was fired.

No one can get anywhere in this country? Why is it like this? I hope the authorities know what they are doing with crime after this because at least with Nelson there was some hope and I am not talking about him being white or from overseas.

He genuinely had good ideas, was not hesitant to implement them, was practical and was not interested in kissing up, only in proving to the people that things were different in the Royal Police Force of Antigua and Barbuda. Now I don’t know what to feel or expect. I do know that I’m disappointed in my government right now."

------------------------------

What is it about this place that makes some people so stubborn that they would reject changes that are being implemented to keep their OWN home country safe? This resistance to change to anything that wasn't conceived by an Antiguan's mind is absolutely ridiculous. It's not admitting inferiority to accept a new way of doing things that's been tried and tested somewhere else - it's just common sense. Why not take advantage of the experience being offered to you whether it's coming from someone who is white, black, or purple for that matter?

The news of Nelson being fired made me want to pack up my own bags and leave. Crime is absolutely out of control and it seems the people in charge are more interested in egos than the safety of those they serve. Do they not realize the damage that was already done to this country's reputation with the tragic murders of the Mullanys? How many people have cancelled trips to Antigua because they feel the crime is out of control? In every news article and tv broadcast across the world during that case's coverage, Nelson was the most commonly interviewed figure and now you fire the one person who is most recognizable internationally as trying to infuse the country with new initiatives to make things better? That's going to set their minds at ease and prove that you're taking the crime problem seriously...

I'm completely disheartened by Nelson's dismissal but feel like I should be congratulating him on his luck. He will no longer have to put up with the pigheadedness and now when the country continues to plummet into destitution they will have nobody to scapegoat except themselves.

jc

Back to top Go down

Why fire Gary Nelson Empty Police Service Commissioners

Post  peaceonearth Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:56 am

The following is a quote from the Antigua and Barbuda Tourism Group:

"he (Nelson) got the "walking papers" later yesterday. On all radio talk shows people called in slamming the government for this move. It is the first time since the UPP got in that hard core supporters are not 100% supporting a decision they have made. People are upset and want answers on this one. There seems to be plenty of talk about who heads the Police Service Commission and what other roles they play"

so - who are these people? how are they appointed/elected? and what other roles do they play? i heard that one of them was a munitions dealer!! could this be true? i guess like many citizens, i have been ignorant for too long about the workings of our administration.. it seems like this might be the time for a lot of us to sit up and pay a little more attention - before out tourism product loses all credibility.
peaceonearth
peaceonearth

Back to top Go down

Post  jc Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:07 pm

See? It's happening already... as if we needed anymore bad press:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/centralamericaandthecaribbean/antiguaandbarbuda/2647042/Antigua-honeymoon-murders-Police-chief-fired.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article4636708.ece

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2008/08/29/6611186-ap.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/7588721.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/7589499.stm

What I find most interesting in these reports is the citing of Nelson's decades of experience in policing - the international spin on the country's credibility in firing him is not good... TimesOnline.co.uk was quoted as having said: "The sacking will raise concerns about attempts to tackle crime on an island visited by an estimated 100,000 British holidaymakers each year."

The PSC may be able to get away with questionable moves in this country when nobody is looking, but not when the world's media still has us under a microscope. What were you thinking? And when people stop coming to visit Antigua because they fear for their safety and the people of Antigua lose jobs because the tourism market disappears here THEN you think the crime will get better???

Think there is anything that can be done to show support for Nelson remaining as commissioner?

"In his statement Mr Nelson said he had "worked hard connecting the community and police and has engaged the police force in providing a higher standard of law enforcement.

The statement added: "He is prepared to let the community determine if he is in fact suitable for the position of commissioner of police and pledge his continued commitment to the community and the people of Antigua and Barbuda."

jc

Back to top Go down

Why fire Gary Nelson Empty Demonstrating support for Gary Nelson?

Post  peaceonearth Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:11 pm

Maybe instead of a Day of Prayer we should be having a Day of Protest... What would Mr. Nelson like his supporters to do?
peaceonearth
peaceonearth

Back to top Go down

Why fire Gary Nelson Empty Nelson/Gov/Crime

Post  queen Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:13 pm

Take notice and worry my friends.The present admin is out of control,even if we cant see it and corruption is the order of the day,Gary Nelson got close to something and they cut his throat.....politicians think they are above the law and they will do anything to keep it that way.Very soon you'll see "one of the boys" in charge of the force and things will be back the way they like it...corrupt politicians controlling the corrupt police force.God forbid Dr Cort became prime minister.....you think corruption is bad now...lets not forget who was his buddy when he made his money.

queen

Back to top Go down

Post  antiguan Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:16 pm

yup, the head of the police service commission is the only person in Antigua permitted to import guns. This person essentially runs the police force with the other commission members.
Some may find two things strange here. Firstly, some may find it strange that a board or commission runs the force and not the commissioner. This is a bit strange i guess, but it is the way that the british system works as well as the Canadian system. The difference is that in both the UK and in Canada the Police Service Commission is made up of former police commissioners and other retired top brass from the force. The commissioner of police in those countries carries out the running of the force in accordance with the commissions directives. Here in Antigua we have political appointees who have no background in police work running the police force. The second thing that many may find strange is that the person in charge of the Police Service Commission is a guy who makes money from importing guns and amo into the country. The more he sells the more money he makes. That is frigging crazy! confused
Not only that, but there is an allegation floating around that Nelson had made an order of weapons thru this person for the police force, and the order was beefed up with in numbers and in with more expensive guns. This was the start of a problem between them I hear. I also hear that the PSC wanted to be made aware of random searches before they happened. All hearsay though.

antiguan

Back to top Go down

Why fire Gary Nelson Empty corruption/gov/police

Post  queen Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:14 pm

All in all the whole thing stinks,Mr Spencer and his boys better mind what they do,because the people here are not happy with what has happened and we are getting bad press outside......i thought they really had the country at heart, it is clear that they do not.They wont be getting my vote.

queen

Back to top Go down

Post  antiguan Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:07 am

Ok, now the guys at the helm of the party are trying to make anyone who questions the firing look like they are the crazy ones. Shaku is as defiant as he was when he likened Stanford to a Red neck pulling blacks behind their pickups... ya that one came from shaku while speaking about the fallout with stanford some time ago. He ranted and raved on the Daily disturber radio yesterday when asked why the man had been fired and why the gov hadn't let the people know. Firing the man is one thing i guess, and we could blame it on one person or another who acted too hastily, but how can you explain a whole party acting irrationally? This is the single most damaging thing that has ever happened to the UPP only because they are backing the decision to fire Gary Nelson hook line and sinker. STUPID STUPID STUPID. Shocked ..... they have finally done what the ALP did - they have forgotten who put them there, they have forgotten who they report to. That would be the people on the street who are the main people saying this decision was a bad one!!!
Please if there is anyone within the UPP reading this. Stop destroying your party's image..... have some balls and say that this decision was wrong at this critical time in our country's history.

antiguan

Back to top Go down

Why fire Gary Nelson Empty Nelson

Post  queen Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:43 am

Has the minister in charge of the law said anything................dont think he can.

queen

Back to top Go down

Post  antiguan Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:31 am

well I don't know what kind of man he is, but I do find it totally messed up that while the most important and spoken about person in Antigua this past month is being fired the minister didn't know a thing..... or so he said when first asked about it.

antiguan

Back to top Go down

Why fire Gary Nelson Empty UPP losing votes

Post  jc Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:48 pm

True this move will greatly damage the nation's opinion of the UPP but I think now is the time to remind people that they are still the lesser of two evils. On the subject of Nelson's hiring 6 months ago, Lester Bird said so many ridiculous statements against hiring him that it prompted other nations to investigate whether all foreigners were being mistreated here (as seen in the Economist magazine and the National Post newspaper in Canada)... again, not good for tourism.

This is excerpted from one of those articles:

<<<"But one Caribbean leader with no such romantic illusions would be former Antiguan prime minister Lester Bird.

The former head of the Antigua Labour party (ALP) who lost power amid corruption charges in 2004 heaped scorn on Antigua's ruling party when Mr. Nelson's appointment was announced, saying that he viewed the arrival with "utter abhorrence."

"Are they unaware of our history of slavery, imposed inferiority of poverty, second-class citizenry and servitude by the privileged colonial plantocracy?" said Mr. Bird, referring to the colour distinction between the force's new leadership and the majority of Antiguans and Barbudans.

"How could any but a government that is bankrupt of ideas and human values dismiss in such casual and cavalier fashion the hard-won freedom and rights to assume the opportunities and social mobility in our institutions? Are they too daft to realize the insult and retrograde harm they have inflicted?" he added. >>>

Between the ALPs continuing offensive and hostile behaviour towards foreigners and the UPPs complete disregard to the voices of its own countrymen Antigua is surely a sinking ship without any proper choice for a captain.

jc

Back to top Go down

Post  -eli- Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:38 am

The ALP is like a very old grandfather who when he was young was full of ideas, passion, vision, and leadership, but now in his old age is a crumbling, mumbling, incoherent and sometimes senile unfortunate. I feel embarrased sometimes when i hear them speak. Molwyn was on the radio last night. OMG!!! No

I can only imagine that people listening to some of the stuff the ALP says feel the same way unless they are as old and tired as they the ones speaking. So many things come and go without a peep from the ALP and i scratch my head thinking why the hell didn't someone confront the UPP with some vocal common sense. scratch Instead they spout silly and often offensive things when they should keep quiet. I listened to "fire and steel" one night when i couldn't stand what was being aired on other radio channels on my way to the movies and was shocked to hear several ALP "leaders" saying that Gary Nelson is the first person that should be locked up. IT was just after the Coco's murders and these guys were going on and on about how useless Gary Nelson was and that he was one of the main things wrong with the police force and were almost blaming him for the rise in crime too. They called for him to be thrown out and arrested several times. I guess the UPP listend to the first part. I just hope they don't lock him up too. scratch
It's like the two parties are having a contest to see who can manage the country the worst. I am sure there are people within each party who are as frustrated as I am, but these guys and girls just don't want to go against the tide and change the status quo. You can't blame them i guess... look what happened to Gary NElson when he wanted to make some changes.

-eli-

http://www.adventureantigua.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Goose Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:10 am

Seems to me like the UPP is in meltdown, freefalling into oblivion. If there was an election tomorrow then they have just handed it to the ALP on a plate.

Colin Derrick appears to have gone into hiding like the spineless worm that he is. Chaku Symister has proved yet again that he shouldn't be put in charge of anything (anyone hear his 'rumbunctious' ranting & raving on sunday?), and after Baldwin Spencers speech on Monday I'm having to wonder if they all think we are a bunch of total idiots.

Goose

Back to top Go down

Why fire Gary Nelson Empty UPP/Nelson

Post  queen Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:45 am

Yes they do think we are fools.They also think that they have convinced everyone that they are trustworthy.HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.Dont forget where Cort was before..!!

queen

Back to top Go down

Why fire Gary Nelson Empty Hm

Post  ASL Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:47 pm

I do not know if they truly had a good reason to let this man go but I truly feel with the way how things are and with the tension between the people and the government and the people and the police it would be best to see an Antiguan in that position.

He may have be qualified BUT to keep the peace and get things settled, an Antiguan or someone with deep Antiguan roots would probably be better. Would it be so bad to do that?

ASL

Back to top Go down

Post  antiguan Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:24 am

well, they had Antiguans in that position for as long as i remember and the force has gotten worse and worse. I think you will find that the relationship between the people (living here on island) and the police had never been better up until the man was fired. If anyone had asked people on the street if they knew what the commissioner looked like or even for his/her name before Nelson was hired they wouldn't have had a clue. The police were viewed by many as corrupt and inept..... that feeling was quickly changing over the past 6 months. Of course, I would like to see an Antiguan at the helm, but for now we need someone with a better skills set than most of the people currently at the top of the police force. Remember you can't just put anyone in there. I think they have to be police. Last night i listened to the radio here (911), and people are still very upset about this. I feel safe knowing that one of the other highly experienced Canadian's is at the helm, but worried that it wont last long. Then who they gonna put to the top in these scary times?

antiguan

Back to top Go down

Why fire Gary Nelson Empty Antiguan at the helm of police

Post  jc Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:45 pm

Sorry to be negative here, but the way crime is now I believe total focus should be paid to finding the most qualified person for the job instead of bickering about where the person is from. I'm beyond sick of hearing people arguing about how this government could have put a white person at the top of the force... a comment that I actually find racist at best. Imagine if a country like the US or Canada were to raise such a fuss that a Caribbean national were placed at a top position in those countries? Would that not be absolutely unacceptable? Why then is it okay to do it to them?

Be happy that, recent mistakes like firing Nelson aside, this government is taking some initiative to try to make this country a safer place! Just because a non-national happens to be the most experienced at a particular job doesn't make it a slap in the face to Antiguans. The slap in the face would be hiring someone less qualified just because he fit a mold that wouldn't cause controversy while more of our countrymen become victims of rape and gunplay. Come on folks... stop being so narrow-minded!

One of the main issues why this police force became so corrupt in the first place is because this country is so small. Everyone knows everyone else and Mr. Police Officer doesn't want to turn in a known criminal because it's his neighbour's son or barber's cousin... I would say for that reason alone the top of the force MUST be someone from outside the country...

jc

Back to top Go down

Post  antiguan Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:54 pm

wow, excellent point of view. I agree 100%

antiguan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down