Antigua - Beyond the beach
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

views on the latest visitor murder

5 posters

Go down

views on the latest visitor murder Empty views on the latest visitor murder

Post  Admin Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:58 am

Steve Coghlan at 11:19am January 23
Unbelievable!................The fallout from this one will hurt us bad!

Eli Fuller at 11:23am January 23
Well the fallout from the financial situation in the usa and uk is hurting us bad right now. We are still hurting from the cocos murders.... this is a kick in the guts when we are down on the ground already. The UPP didn't step things up after the cocos murders like Baldwin said they would do. I haven't seen any stop and searches at all. They are full of s$%t!

Laila Hadeed at 11:28am January 23
Not again!! I just hope that everyone will be careful out there.......be aware of your surroundings and be very vigilant of who is around you when in public. Very sad to hear and read about this story.

Ann Phelan at 11:33am January 23
I heard boats are pulling out already James
Miller at 11:49am January 23
yep 2 boats dun gone... fleutje a very loyal boat to antigua just gone already...! Steve is right, this one gonna really hurt antigua.. Time to have a curfew now you know...

Jenny Hadeed at 11:57am January 23
Here we go again!!! Horrific news!!

Isabelle Delisle at 12:02pm January 23
What are the police saying? What is the government doing? Please keep posting.

Eli Fuller at 1:10pm January 23
all cabinet members gone out there.....LATE!

Ann Phelan at 1:40pm January 23
50k reward and be done..for money they will rat him /her out

Heather Andrus at 1:46pm January 23
Will the gov't blame "outsiders" again? Amazing how they keep track of yachties overstaying on tourist visas but cannot manage to track these dangerous criminals!

Francis Gobinet at 2:19pm January 23
Well as a member of the yachting world i can say that no boats here in St Martin will be coming back and the boats that are there now are leaving shortly.... big blow for the yachting world and the Antiguan yachting community.... As an Antiguan I am ashamed and disgusted that would happen... I hope the government get hint of some sort.... f%^&*$g idiots.

Marianna Khoury at 2:30pm January 23
well said

Tracey Gordon at 2:43pm January 23
OMG I cannot believe this, something has to be done & now!!

Declan Philpot at 2:44pm January 23
This is another nail in the coffin of Antigua's tourism and Yachting industry. This will take years to recover from!!!

James Miller at 2:51pm January 23
Well lets not forget, Antigua still has plenty to offer but along with that, it also has alot to answer for so once civility is safety is restored, we still have alot to offer so I dont think by any means, that antigua is done. People, this crime can and will be stopped and when it has, we will all still be here showing the world that Antigua has plenty to offer and is not a gun slinging, drug ridden place.

Francis Gobinet at 3:32pm January 23
unfortunately thats not what the yachting industry will think, as he was a personal friend of mine I am starting to wonder what Antigua is coming to.... i am disgusted..... the government's best answer was that they are now open past 2200 hrs.... as i said f%^&*$g idiots, Antigua needs to sort its s$%t out, thats the rest of the yachting season fucked for Antigua, 4 boats just pulled in to St Martin.....

I am lost for words, The guy had his wife and 1 year old baby with him and he was shot in front of them. This crime will not be stopped because Antigua does not know how to stop it. English Harbor is a drug ridden s$%t hole, hence everyone calling you charlie as you walk down the road in broad daylight.

Alfa Nero was robber in front of the friggin gates to Falmouth dock and the security guard was in on it, you going to tell me this place has alot to offer....
I moved to English Harbor a few years ago and now Im debating weather or not to move back to the north side..

Andre de Saint-Phalle at 4:23pm January 23
A honeymoon couple shot dead in their beds and now a father shot dead in front of his wife and young son!?!?! Session poil... Antigua is screwed. We have gang violence here in the US, but this is so different IMHO. I must confess the honeymoon murders convinced me not to visit last month, went to St. Martin instead. This latest news confirms my gut that there is something seriously gone wrong in Wadadli...

Colin Ralph at 4:29pm January 23
Ridiculous, god bless ANU

Alex G at 4:42pm January 23
Drug dealing seems to be a career choice in parts of antigua nowadays. Like Francis says, just walk down the abras-mongoose strip and you will likely see some. Muggings, robberies and rape happen alongside. No consequences for the people doing them. Its been sliding that way for over 5 years and the police response has been exactly the same. Pretty much nil. I got robbed and they didnt want to hear about it. Why would it take 1/2 hour to get to a murder scene less than 3 minutes walk from the station? I am waiting for something to happen. We will see. I cant blame anyone for taking their boat elsewhere now. Unfortunately I am not sure how much it will change any Gov. policies but it will keep crews safe. Killing someone in front of their family is probably the ultimate in cowardice and I really want to see this killer caught. I hope, maybe in vain, that catching him will be a lesson to the other fools who think its a good career. It didnt seem to work with the Cocos murdurers....

Charmaine Molyneaux at 4:43pm January 23
WOW another violent act against tourists - this kind of publicity is the last thing ANU needs now.

Alexa Von Levern at 5:22pm January 23
I have to agree with Roddy and Francis, it does seem too late, Eli I had so much hope last week when we spoke, but this, this is it, it DONE, last flecking straw, I know that nothing will change, 15 yrs ago I was attacked a gun point in my home while 7 months pregnant, and still not a rass has been done about the guns!!!! I too am sickened by this, nothing can replace that child's father & I DO BLAME the government..... it really pisses me off, I too am ashamed of of Antigua!!

Graeme Davis at 7:59pm January 23
Hmmm...very interesting comments here...everyone seems ot be thoroughtly disgusted with the situation...but the reality of it is that Antigua has taken too much of a weak liberal approach to crime in general and murder in particular...consider the number of people who have been murdered here in recent years...the family on the boats in Barbuda, the young girl murdered by the Liat pilot - all of whose murderers are still living it up in jail having been caught..
What about the number of unsolved ones such as the young man who was in medical school and his girlfriend murdered up at Jabberwock..and others whose murderers are yet to be found ?
we take way too soft an approach to crime fighting here, and as a result, the criminals rule the streets..
Antigua is way too small for us to not be able to
a) know who the criminals are, thus
b) solve the crime and
c) give the criminals a public hanging like they used to to aid in
d) scaring the other would-be murderers out there into unde

Graeme Davis at 8:03pm January 23
...understanding that there are consequences to THEIR actions
and we will not be tolerating their behaviour...
the government, regardless of political agenda need to take a serious approach to this issue and punish the criminals HARSHLY..
Further...we need to as a nation realise that this situation has been created by a system that has undermined the education of our youth, thus causing a serious problem of numerous under-educated, disenfranchised young men running around thinking that crime is their only option...
WAKE UP PEOPLE !!! WE NEED TO EDUCATE OUR YOUNG MEN AND WOMEN AND TAKE A MORE POWERFUL NO-NONSENSE APPROACH TO THE PUNISHMENT OF CRIME IN THIS LAND !!!

Paul Eldridge at 9:17pm January 23
The problem is a very deep laying one . It starts with basic RESPECT. Respect for ones self, respect for others and respect for Antigua. Now if you live in a s$%t hole , garbage tossed on the street and all around, people cuss each other and do as they please, with out any thought for any other ,if you have children with several different women and take no care of them,and they see the way of the Hollywood street gangs.
Bingo...This is the next generation of Antiguans ..

Is this a surprise!!! Look at what the young people of Antigua have for roll models . The same government that freed the people, robbed the people, kept them poor and uneducated, now this was the good old days when people did respect each other and if a ute stepped out of line a lick was given by some one , granny, uncle , mum , or whoever.

Now , we have a new order, and no respect, TV has educate the young kid and this is gangs , drugs and violence ,where a gun or a knife is the way .

Torsten Michael Stenzel at 9:51pm January 23
It is horrible, but i think you are absolutly right...

Admin
Admin

https://antigua.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

views on the latest visitor murder Empty Re: views on the latest visitor murder

Post  Admin Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:04 am

Alexa Von Levern at 10:03pm January 23
exactly..................
Jean-Claude D'Ornellas at 10:17pm January 23
time to turn to agriculture as tourism is fucked!

Karine Pecquet-vidal at 10:28pm January 23
Eli and Graeme, I could not agree more with you two. I am so MAD at what happened for so many reasons. I feel deeply sad for the victims and this -now widow- left with her young daughter. And I am really upset because as single women, I won’t feel safe and I have already been robbed twice in five years…

Then overall lot of us are struggling this year because of the decrease in tourism arrivals, and spending, and how this directly or indirectly affects so many of us. We really did not need that, as Eli said. This would be horrific if it had happened to anybody, any time. But those guys, could not have picked worst circumstance, a well known and respected skipper, in the middle of English Harbor which is familiar territory for so many people, in front of his family so the drama worsen and the international media are going to love the story… For a handbag, what fools!

Karine Pecquet-vidal at 10:28pm January 23
We all see an increase in dodgy affairs at night. Yet, you get attitude from any government office, a hell-welcome at the immigration, and now you see guys in dark blue with bullet proof “police” vest walk-in restaurants as if they owned it, with riffle guns in hands (experienced it tree days ago at the bistro, everybody froze in the restaurant...???). Oh, and they do road stops… to people going around for their daily business and tourists… All this, while the authorities and most people here know well where the bad stuff happens and who leads most of it, little guys and top guys I am sure. Nothing is done about that.

Those “cowboys” called police round here, need to stop being cowards, focus on the real issues that I believe are still manageable, and get their ass on the street! They need to hunt those guys down –be absolutely ruthless- and make examples (instead of telling people to get more guns, in their house to protect themselves, so many people own guns around here…).

Karine Pecquet-vidal at 10:43pm January 23
SORRY ALL, long note... like Antigua much and I always thought it was kind of safe until recently. So as reality hit the ground, am mad...

Donyelle Ann Bird at 12:11am January 24
Instead of harrassing business owners about licences and drivers about where they should or shouldn't park, I suggest the police spend their time doing stop and searches etc. What about a buy back program for guns? The courts need to give these senseless and violent crimes the punishment they warrrant, and start the debate for capital punishment again. What message is being absorbed by the next generation?? Antigua was once a peaceful island where respect for self and others was worth more than its weight in gold, but my children won't know that. They will only know, and be influenced by what our island has become. Very sad, frustrating and shameful times indeed.

Isabelle Delisle at 12:21am January 24
People also should start holding themselves to a higher standard. People who do not pay bills, and park illegally send the message that the rules are there to be broken. It is all related. If we want a better society, we have to be better people, it is not about what others should do, it is about how we should do..

Donyelle Ann Bird at 12:28am January 24
and in the event that that isn't sinking in, (which it obviously isn't) the disciplinarians need to step in and do what they are supposed to do. The lawmakers and protectors. But I guess for a policeman with a family, it's kinda hard to risk your life for EC$400/wk. And the vicious cycle continues:-(

Adam Brookes at 4:30am January 24
More police presence in places where folks drink and party like in Falmouth and English harbour. Deterrence is one way to help I think, this prick saw an opportunity and took it, but if he knew two bad ass cops were around the corner patrolling, different story. You can never get all the guns off the street but having a good police presence will make the criminal minded think twice. It will show the Government is at least doing something before it happens. And police presence I mean properly trained cops patrolling by foot, bicycle, horse or whatever with bullet proof vests and guns (like how they protect the armoured van in town.) Protect the citizens and foreigners like you do the banks money. Now it’s costing the country a lot more than paying a few good cops to do good police work. This is just one step though in the fight against crime.

Eli Fuller at 7:21am January 24
OK guys there are some great points here, but there is more. The only persont on the island who can legally import a gun was or is the head of the Police Service Commission. The police service commission is a body responsible for running the police essentially by the hiriing and firing of the Comissioner of Police and others. I think hey also get to say who gets promoted and moved around. The Canadian commissioner who was fired was telling the government that 1) all guns legally coming into the country shouldn't be being purchased a civilian who happens to be in charge of the police. 2) that the police service commission was holding back the progress of the police. 3) that the police service commission shouldn't be run by a bunch of political appointee civilians.
So many guns on the street have been stolen from "licensed firearm holders" and more and more will be stolen. The former commissioner and I both think that there is a conflict of interest at the top of the police force.

Eli Fuller at 7:27am January 24
Graham is 100% correct about education. The average kid coming out of a government school doesn't know s$%t and is wouldn't be hired by anyone. I see a million frigging ALP and UPP signs and when i went to Bolans school the other day to move my registration I saw a total s$%t school. How about spending some of that wastefull promotional material money on the schools. Both parties should be ashamed of themselves. Who gives a s$%t about a corrupt $18 dollar a person school meals person when the frigging teachers get paid peanuts. Kids may come out well fed but uneducated!
Donyelle, Karine and others are 100% correct when they speak about how well the police do at keeping tract of frigging stupid infractions while "Rome Burns". Who gives a f&*%K about my 60+ year old mom driving on an expired license when people are being robbed and killed? I guess the UPP is learning that firing half the police force when they got into power because they were "bird people" wasn't the best idea.....

Eli Fuller at 7:32am January 24
Paul also said something very profound and it was echoed at a big lunch I had with both UPP and ALP supporters yesterday. People have to want to care..... They need to care about the environment to want to protect it. They need to care about the welfare of our yachting or tourist industry to want to look after it. They need to care about our kids to want to educate them. Our leaders on both sides of the political divide care ......... about themselves! It's that simple.
I was told by my dad and by Kenny Kentish (one of the PM's lawyers) yesterday that it is 100% illigal to stop and search people randomly and that a constitutional referendum needed to happen before they could make it legal. That means that 75% of the voting public needs to vote in favor of changing the constitution in order for it to happen. I told them i didn't give a f&*%K if my constitutional rights were broken in a random search. We all need to write to the papers winston@antiguaobserver.com and we need to ....

Eli Fuller at 7:36am January 24
tell him that we the people want our constitutional rights to be ignored by the police with random stop and searches. Take the guns off the streets. Adam is totally correct too.. the popo need to be on the streets walking. It's how crimes were prevented since the first police. Beat Cops as they are called need to be walking the "beat".
The old man did tell me that unlike the US system of law.. if evidence is found illegally (in a random stop and search) it can still be used in court. Soooo...... it seems pretty obvious what has to happen in the short term: Constant Random Searches which by the way was what the PM finally said in his address to the nation after the last set of murders and we never saw them. Lets hope he takes his finger out of his ass.

Eli Fuller at 7:42am January 24
One last thing I guess, James Miller is 100% correct in his suggestion that Antigua still has plenty to offer. Lets keep in mind that Trinidad has a huge yachting industry for some reason and had 550 murders last year. As much as is sounds crazy and will probably piss some people off ...... people will forget about this some day and there will be yachts back here. For now, I personally hope that every single ones moves out of falmouth in an effort to show the people and the leaders and prospective leaders what is going on. Anyone who for a second thinks that this thing can't happen in St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. Martin, Tobago, Grenada, St. Kitts or any of the other islands doesn't know jack. It HAS HAPPENED there before.... The difference is that most of those places cared enough to do something about it. We are still waiting for that leadership. One of my best friends lived in St. Martin his whole life.... this kind of murder isn't anything sensational for a place like that.

Eli Fuller at 7:43am January 24
Francis find out what happen to Sir Bobby's daughter. Eli Fuller at 7:49am January 24
I guess one last thing that wasn't said but that has to be. In order to help stem the flow of violent crime in Antigua the government needs to come to grips with the financial crash. There are so many people without work. Thousands...no probably tens of thousands of people are here either ilegally or thru some favor at immigration or at the ministry of labour. All of them need to be rounded up and sent back home. Even in the drug ridden Falmouth where some of you live there are both whites and blacks who shouldn't be there. A big number of scum bags here ilegally are "friends" of mine and yours. Get them the f&*%K out! Tourist season and the silly construction boom are closed and we need to re-group.

Ann Phelan at 8:10am January 24
Paul wayyy above hit it..respect..the moral climate of the island has gone down the tube. I visit my ex's family to take my child to visit. The teen boys claim status prancing around with their pit bulls tied with chains. Dog fights and standing on the street corner is their social life. Having 4 pickney with 4 women they never see is common. This is an endemic situation that needs to be rebuilt starting with early childhood intervention, more teen parent programs, more health care aimed at pregnancy prevention. Conflict resolution in the classrooms and programs starting EARLY. The idiots that rob and have guns are thugs. They are damaged individuals most likely harbouring deep seated mental health issues. NORMAL people do not do this. Sadly Antigua wants to emerge from her Third World Mentality but many government officials prefer hiring recruiting members of their good old boyz club vs QUALIFIED people.

My clients robbed and beaten in JH last June were taken WELL care of by Gary N.

Ann Phelan at 8:16am January 24
I ran out of space..the changes I have seen in 22 years being a resident and coming 2-5 times a year now are staggering. Yes, the schools are a mess and it goes way back to Ruben Harris if you need to point a finger. Also, I took my child, an Antiguan national to Carnival ...nunca mas..it was thug heaven, gold and chains and gold teeth and rude bwoyz BEYOND the norm...we felt so unsafe...no one waits in lines, no one greets one another..the social climate is in the crapper...MORAL change...start early start young..start at HOME...this is not a banana republic...volunteer in a school do someting..u cannot just sit on Facebook and speak..u must ACT..Eli, get kids from Bolans to the beach adn teach them to kite...or put them on a SUP. I recall my own nieces and nephews in Cedar Grove only saw a beach if I TOOK THEM...WTF...how can childhood be blissful living in a ghetto watching Young and Restless? I believe in Wadadli but it's time NOW to act or it's over...this is time.

Jill Fuller at 8:31am January 24
Ok - some terrible spelling,grammar and language, guys!! - but some great points here!! So why don't some of you people who feel so passionately about the situation in Antigua and Barbuda stop talking and start doing? Citizens need leaders and if the current bunch who are posing as our leaders are not getting the job done, (and really there is no doubt about that) then it is time for them to be replaced... that much is a no-brainer. However, what is more problematic is knowing who to replace them with. The ALP?....?
Is that the only alternative? Is it too late to get another party together, or run a bunch of independents?
Think about it. Do you want the 'old guard' back, or is there another way?? Someone in Antigua, with the courage of their convictions, who can stand up, like Obama, and say "YES WE CAN, here, in Antigua and Barbuda, too!" - otherwise we are going back to the widdy-widdy bush days for sure, God help us all ...

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:05 am

Liah Fuchs at 9:20am January 24
The police here don't care, they just don't, and that it because for most of them Antigua is not their Home. Last April kenny and I went to lunch and during the 30 mins we were inside the back 1/4 glass was knocked out and all of our stuff gone. we went down to the CID and I swear i did not hear one antiguan accent, after about 3 - 4 weeks the officer came back to me with the guys, name and address who broke into my car. But never went to arrest him, he told me that i could go and see if he would give me my stuff back...I mean wat the f&*%K is that?? i spoke to their supervisor and he said somethign would be done.. and as usual nothign was.. the police officer was from dominica, and later to find out that the person who broke into the car was from Dominica as well.. it's all about who you know and it sickens me.

We need to inforce some really strong punishments, eye for an eye
Capital Punishment for Rapists & Murderers
I personally would chop of the hand of a robber

Adam Anton at 9:20am January 24
Jill I love how you start by calling out the spelling and grammar errors, lol. We know that with any falling economy you see a rise in crime, and you will probably see this happening all over the world at the moment, but that certainly doesn't make it ok. Coming from Trinidad this is all too familiar. I think that Graeme and Paul hit the nail on the head. If you ask yourself what is the difference between you and the little 'thugs' that are running around committing crimes the answer is simple: we weren't raised that way. Like many other countries there are too many youths here growing up with no guidance, no fathers/mothers around to show them the way, and no real education either. I always believed that if we want to change this there must be as much or more focus on improving the way these youths are brought up as there is in capturing and prosecuting the criminals. When horrendous crimes like this happen our instinct is to capture and punish the criminals....

Liah Fuchs at 9:28am January 24
sum however would dis agree
They need to have undercover officers doing constant spot checks.. especially in the areas that have seasons during their seasons.
English harbour beeing known for all the drugs robberies and now murders infront of family memebers.. they need to have police on the streets until the area has closed down.. When i was in school in england.. they had 5 police officers at every club and one or 2 on the side walk in between clubs.. i have never felt soo safe. But they actually want to protect people they DO care..

How are we going to get these people to care about a place that is not even their home.. And the fact that Antiguans are so lazy and just want to be paid without doing any work!!

I am just about ready to join the police force!!

Adam Anton at 9:31am January 24
...I wonder if the other half of the problem takes a back seat to this. The government can bring in Scotland Yard and make all the fuss they want to make us feel better, but the underlying problem is still there and its growing. My mom works at the Boys Training School where she deals with troubled youths every week and from what she tells me you'd swear its too late even for some of these 10 year old boys. They have gone down the wrong path and I don't know if its possible to bring them back. It seems like we need to start even earlier, the youths now are the parents of tomorrow and if they are led astray then there is no hope for the next generation. Where do we start? I think this is what our government needs to ask themselves and they need to solve it, as much as they need to solve the crimes.

Adam Anton at 9:32am January 24
dammit Liah you interrupted my post! lol

Liah Fuchs at 9:33am January 24
I agree with the Education, the teachers need a pay increase.
Another thing we are on an island that doesn't offer anything to the youths.. I am sure if we came up with different ways to keep these kids off the streets and doing more contructive thing it will also help with their up bringing and their mentality.

Liah Fuchs at 9:34am January 24
LOL ADAM u interrupted me!!! lol

Adam Anton at 9:42am January 24
true! antiguans need to learn how to swim and take advantage of their biggest natural resource...the ocean. that will give them something to do and they will also learn to appreciate what they have. not surfing tho, there aren't enough waves for all of us Razz

Jane Ayres at 9:43am January 24
i am torn about fighting violence with violence...however with such an unsucessfull penal system, maybe corporal punishment should be bought back.

i am shocked by some of the responses i have been sent in a chain email..people suggesting building walls, police patrols...
why has no one asked why this happened.
why did they guy need to rob from another? drugs? to feed a family? to buy some trash or bling? to join a gang? greed? boredom? to be cool?
i think we need to turn the f%^&*$g tv off.
i think we all need to focus on family and community. support, encourage, guide, lead and share.
understanding will only benefit us and can be the only long term solution.
if we start on our own door step we can help our community, our country and our world.

Liah Fuchs at 9:49am January 24
lol yes.. i greee we live on a rock and majority of the people dont know how to swim..
Sailing, Windsurfing, kitesurfing, suba, but at the end of the day you have the tv and the radio, and all you hearing is " Marrow will fly into da skyy" and shot pussy hole.... and "Say hello to my little friend" and everything now ah days its about cash money and magnums and ak47 and all dat s$%t...

We as antiguans needs to form a real Party for the PEOPLE!!..

Adam Anton at 9:55am January 24
everyone knows what we need but few are willing to do anything or know how to get it done. do what eli suggested and start by emailing Observer Radio winston@antiguaobserver.com

Liah Fuchs at 9:58am January 24
ok dat sounds like a plan.. work on that this weekend for monday!

Eli Fuller at 11:13am January 24
ok so roddy is here and has asked me to explain better about the legal gun thing. Here goes:

The police force is run by the Police Service Commission. They decide who gets promotions in the force. They decide who gets fired and who gets hired at the top levels. In the UK the Police Service commission is run by retired "top brass" from the police force. Here they are political appointees who didn't have police experience. One of the top guys at the PSC is the only person legally allowed to import guns. Think about this. It is in his interest to have as many people getting gun licenses as possible, so if a top cop thinks that people shouldn't be allowed gun licenses that top cop is hurting the importers business. That guy is his boss. It has been alleged that cops who think people shouldn't have guns will not do well in the force. I know of many people who have had their legal guns stolen. Those guns are on the street now killing people. Two people on this thread have 1st hand....

Eli Fuller at 11:15am January 24
experience with that (legal guns being stolen). Then they have to go buy another one from one the PSC guy who makes money from that fun sale. See how this whole thing is wrong? Seems like another simple fix to me right?

Eli Fuller at 11:15am January 24
By the way, stolen guns do kill people. Think about that!!!!

Jane Finch at 12:04pm January 24
Too much lip service , & NO ACTION with the DYP ..been going on forever .. How many times have we heard the same old same old ..the Crime meetings we had at Cobbs Cross school did NOTHING ! We had all the top brass there , with PROMISES that the DYP would do foot patrols,and be open 24 hours ..tall go so ,NEVER happened .They make more $$$ from the criminals than from their paycheck..the thugs are protected ... we are targets.Over 50 incidents of robberies, muggings etc. took place in less than 2 years . NO ARRESTS, and no recovery of any stolen items. Sudden na right .. It's all been said time & time before ..The higher ups are doing nothing ..it sucks. If the Yachts leave , we will really suffer, more revenue is generated from our Yachting sector, than any other in tourism ! Try to tell those in power that ..they think it's a "given" .. too much too little too late ...My heart is breaking ...

Teddy Thomas at 1:09pm January 24
Bring back the rope for the killers..!!..if you are guilty without any doubt , you should go straight from the court house to gallows..!!..done.For lesser crimes cat'o'nine and then hard labor ...real hard labor...not basketball in the yard..!!!... Jane Finch at 1:20pm January 24
I agree ..you do the crime ..suffer the consequences ! Too much a nice guy ting nar work tall ...

Alexa Von Levern at 1:31pm January 24
Adam is right, this is deep rooted issue, and it starts at HOME, in Barbados there is crime, but not on the visitors, the level of education here is so much higher (hence why as youths so many of us were sent to school here) and it definitely makes a difference.
Brian has done exactly what Ann told Eli to do, he took boys from the villages here and taught them to windsurf and kite surf and they turned around and hassled the visitors and destroyed the equipment, to some of these guys the visitors are "stupid white people with money" and it's worse in Antigua when we were last in Antigua I was told to hush my white scunt. MY NAVEL STRING is buried right there, Antiguans are angry with the white foreigners, and rightly so.they have watched them come into our once peaceful island and buy up all of our land and prosper.... why because they could, they have the education, there fore they have access to the money. We need to educate our youth, until then patrolling the streets and T

eddy Thomas at 1:35pm January 24
One of the bigger problems is that the cops are on the take...how can anyone fight that..!!..they will cover for the bad boys...of all the times i've been to the Falmouth and Dockyard area the only times i've seen cops in uniform is Sailing Week.....i go down there for dinner every so often,when you come out of the restaurant it's maybe 10:30-11:00 o'clock,quite most times....i never see cops...if you drive around you never see cops....i understand the station closes at 11:00...is this true..!!!...well you know down there will suffer badly for a long time..!!...too sad..!!

Alexa Von Levern at 1:35pm January 24
getting rid of the guns and the guys that are letting the guns come into our island and yes Jill we have to stand up or shut up it's time to take our island back, Eli I really think you should consider running, you have my vote!!!!

Gabrielle Thomas at 1:44pm January 24
We need to stop this from the root.. Like many of you have said, we need to focus on educating our youth. Show them how to be proud of and respect our country. For those that are already on the wrong path and have no hope of turning back, they need to be punished. They know what they are doing is wrong. Let the punishment be public and let them be an example! I'm sure many people know who the criminals are and that's the problem. The community protects them and the police are part of the community. It's somebodies son or nephew or friends grandson and they all keep their mouths shut. I don't think they understand how serious this really is and what kind of repercussions this is going to have on Antigua as a whole. They think they don't have money now? Wait till our main industry turns its back on us because of these crimes. There will be even less money and jobs and then the cycle continues. What has happened to the Antigua we used to know?

Teddy Thomas at 1:45pm January 24
Was listening to the news on Thursday on my way to work, the great money guru Dr Cort was on the airwaves, he claims that the Gov has spent $130,000,000.00 (one hundred and thirty million) on the police force.....really..??? not long ago they said they could not afford bullet proof jackets and that they were happy that someone had donated some.....i am really confused..!!!

Eli Fuller at 1:52pm January 24
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24958836-3102,00.html

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:06 am

Jason Colbourne at 2:18pm January 24
I am still crazy enough to believe that things will get better. Sometimes it takes getting your face rubbed in the mud, or for you to hit rock bottom (hard), to realize what a mess you have become. Perhaps this is where Antigua needs to be for true change to take place. Let us be hit where it hurts most - the tourism sector. Since our politicians are anemic in their leadership, it will take concerned citizens and residents to effect change. We are at a low point, a very low point. Nevertheless, we cannot give up on Wadadli. Many other nations have fallen flat on their faces but have gotten back up again. Stronger. Perhaps we have lower to fall, but with channeled energy and focus, we can and shall rise again. How do we pull together now that we are in our worse days? How do we look at a nation wallowing in the cesspool of its blood, yet still love it enough to bathe it with water and pour ointments on it? Sometimes I feel I want to run away from here.....

Jason Colbourne at 2:20pm January 24
...but know that for such a time as this, I am here. Let us not lose heart or love for Antigua. Even though things should get worse, we have to care enough about this place to want to to see it get better. Eli and others are right - there is still a lot to love about Antigua. We have to press through this.

Eli Fuller at 2:28pm January 24
hey Francis and all the other boat people: http://sxmprivateeye.com/node/9127
Antigua with a population of 120K or about that has too much crime, but all of the Caribbean are suffering from that problem. It's all over and I personally think that Antigua will be able to deal with it more easily than some of the other islands. We just need a few leaders with balls and a few with brains mixed with one or two that care more for island than for self. Is that too hard to find?

Alexa Von Levern at 5:09pm January 24
Eli look in the mirror........ honestly I think you need to think about it dude!!

Jane Finch at 6:54pm January 24
We need to join hands, hearts, & minds . Collectively , we CAN make a change. There are many conscious and like minded people here with the intellegence, and drive to effect change ! But we must do something about our Police force NOW ...particularly in St. Pauls ,we cannot afford to have one other negative incident involving the Yachting sector.Even while out last night,in English Harbour, I saw NO Police on the beat !!!

The breakdown of the family, is the crux of the problem, who is mentoring these young men in gangs , & doing these crimes !? WHERE are their Fathers ? They all want 'things' ..ipods, cell phones , lap tops ..so they TEEF them ! While Mum works two jobs, & Dad works 3 women , WHO is at home ? It's a very real problem !

Still I am not prepared to give up on Wadadli either ..I have spent 35 years of my life here ! Although I personally have been robbed and assaulted twice ... without any assistance, justice or recovery of stolen items.

Jane Finch at 6:56pm January 24
Con't .I am not prepared to throw in the towel yet...[though I have thought about it !] Let us fight for ANU ..we can do it !

Eli Fuller at 7:04pm January 24
alexa, i would be very interested in helping out any government by working in the environment or tourism sector in the future, but running as a rep is out of the question in the forseeable future. There would have to be another party made up of mostly people from my generation. Running alongside people who are over 70 years old would drive any 36 year old crazy and i am not interested in the least. I doubt i could "work" as hard as you need to here in Antigua to get votes either.

Jane Finch at 7:17pm January 24
We NEED a NEW PARTY !! I say bring it on !!!

Alexa Von Levern at 7:32pm January 24
okay lets see, Graham Davis, educated outspoken Aniguan man...........there's 1.Nicky Fuller Jr. maybe not so out spoken but he knows the law..... I am not at home now, but I know there are many of you that I grew up with that CAN make a change!!!!!

Zoe Swatton at 8:56pm January 24
Ive been reading along unsure as to comment or not.. but here goes... I have a few points so forgive me if its long. Thursday night was my birthday and I was at the Gallery. The victim and his family were say opposite us having dinner... next thing you know!! a senseless act takes place and a poor women is left with her baby with a husband and father and a community is shatterd.Lets not allow this man to die in vain.. My elder brothers birthday is the day before mine and a year ago on his birthday 21st my younger brother was held at gunpoint, shoved against a car and robbed. they took his money and phone, the muggers were caught, with the gun,with the evidence... a year later nothing has been done. My younger brother went to court and it was ajourned as the defence were buliding a case?!?!? what case can they build?!?!??! They mugged someone at gun point and were caught?! He was been to court since waited 4hours to sign a piece of paper to say he will turn up in court, not being given

Zoe Swatton at 9:01pm January 24
a date nothing!!! That same day, 9 other incidents took place, reported in the paper, my brothers wasnt even mentioned so thing of how many more. Reports were of rape, people being mugged, pistol whipped, beaten!! all in one night and for what? Just look at Raj... how badly he was beaten for a few $100!! its sickening..

I agree with alot of your sentiments. I added the meeting in the harbour yesterday and we need to step up, as it was mentioned a lot of peope know whose these criminals are.. alot of us lime in English Harbour during the weekends, not even living there on a daily basis we could identify a few drug dealers etc im sure. Why arent the police taking action.. why does it take a death to shake them up and even then what will they do and will it be sustained?!?! We teach sport, and one thing that has saddened me recently is a young boy of 13. He was on scholarship at one of the better private schools in ANU, we taught him P.E.... over the last few months we have seen him

Zoe Swatton at 9:06pm January 24
in abras, in the bars in EH at 3/4am smoking etc and just last week my brothers saw him dealing drugs for one of the drug guys in EH!! This is disgusting and really distrubing, not only are these criminals plauging the country they are recuriting young kids to do thier dirty work... where are the parents?!?! The child is longer at the school and being 'home schooled' He had talent - can we help the youths? A few of you say it starts with education etc it does!! its a cycle and everything and everyone plays a part. I drive past a few schools on my way to work and at 9am kids are standing on the road side due to being late to school! when i drive back past at 10.30 they are still there waiting on morning break to be let in... these children WANT to be educated or they would have left when they are shut out... they rely on buses and that sometimes makes them late.. let them in they show willing, they wait, you need to be knocking on the doors of the kids who arent showing up!! I agree

Zoe Swatton at 9:12pm January 24
with getting the kids of the streets, they finish school at 1.30/2.30 what do they do for the rest of the day... Jill said stand up take action, as I said we run a sports school, this year we are launching a new inititive and sponsorship program for underprivalaged kids to be able to attend a number of our programs, swimming , football etc, so they can get exposure, learn core values, team work, commimtment, disipline in a fun, safe and structured enviroment. Please dont think Im selling myself, but Antigua is a place I choose to make a home 6 1/2 years ago and I want to see it thrive, I want to see young talent thrive, and the skills I can offer I wish to do so!! its important and the little difference I can make I will endevour too. Another thing is first aid!! more people need to be able to responded and the scene of an addicent or crime. the hotels arent interested, ive been telling the, the ministers of health, education, tourism its paramount and the knowledge locals learn will l

Zoe Swatton at 9:17pm January 24
Learn will feed into the communitys in which they live!!! Government and hotel industry not interested. I am willing to volunteer my services, get asemblies in schools, do first aid and CPR trainng for community groups, let all help in whatever way we can to make our island by birth or choice a better place to live, the ecomony is unstable and we have been hit hard by these senseless acts, more people will be laid of and when backs are against walls and mouths need feeding people will take any measures to do what they can and crime is becoming the way for most!! please lets make a change, if every one does a little and alot can be done!! everyone stay safe!! and thanks for reading if you got this far!! Zoe Swatton at 9:21pm January 24
p.s sorry about the bad grammer and spelling, I was on a rant and typing fast!! Wink

Jill Fuller at 9:28pm January 24
kudos, zoe!

Teddy Thomas at 2:45am January 25
BLAH..!!..BLAH..!!..BLAH..!!..We sound like politicians..!!..the police has to stop f%^&*$g around..!!..gone are the days when they catch a rude boy cause he "BROK IN SAMBADY HOUSE"..and they hit him two cuff and then he get six months..!!....they need to round them up f&*%K them up and jail them for long periods of time..and if they kill another human HANG THEM..!!...OH..!! and lets not forget the beatings..!!..if they are going to behave like animals they should be treated like f%^&*$g animals..!!..all this long winded crap that people are writing is very nice and sounds great...f&*%K that..!!..lets get rid of the animals and go from there..!!.....all the bleeding hearts can take a f%^&*$g hike..!!..lets clean house and save the future of our country..!!

Jareese Damian Finch at 5:08am January 25
The best answer is realizing that we as residents of Antigua we need to unite... if the police presence simply means more corruption then it may be time to take matters into our own hands. It seems that for each step of progress Antigua paves we let another catastrophic event happen which hinders any sort of progress... Come on its simple to see.. History shows that we as humans beings stand stronger as one. Lets unite as one and change this B.S. before our country turns into the next Haiti.... My answer is simple band together and stay strong

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

views on the latest visitor murder Empty is anyone out there listening????

Post  peaceonearth Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:59 pm

I notice that no politicians on fb or the antigua forums are commenting on this situation... despite requests for them to do so... It's sad that none of them here seems savvy enough to follow Obama's example and use the internet as a resource for uniting people and spreading the word that change must come!!
peaceonearth
peaceonearth

Back to top Go down

Post  -eli- Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:26 am

the problem with the internet is that when people write others read and then write. It's an open forum where there people are all given the same chance to speak. The two times i have been able to speak to politicians in public i have been shot down fairly quickly. That can't happen here as we all have the write as much as we want. It would take a brave political leader to come and write on facebook or on this forum. You see we have had two do it so far. Melford and now Samantha.

-eli-

http://www.adventureantigua.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nel Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:48 pm

First, I must say that I think the level of passion which this latest incident has evoked and which is being expressed here (and elsewhere) is a good first step. Often, those of us not directly affected by crime have simply spouted off at the mouth saying that 'something' needs to be done, but, I'm happy to see persons now expressing a willingness and desire to be actively involved in addressing the crime situation. I particularly like the post about being ready to enter the police force...I think they are recruiting! :-)

More seriously though, a lot of good points have been made and I think we can all agree that we have to address the moral fabric of our society and in particular try to reach out to these clearly misguided youth. Many persons have been calling for the death penalty (totally useless and ineffective--neither deters nor effectively punishes, but that's a whole topic in itself) and for stiffer and mandatory sentences. This mind you is in line with the view of many governments (worldwide); it is often felt that creating new laws or amending existing legislation holds some magic power and is capable of solving just about any problem faced by society. This unfortunately is totally untrue. Legislation and these stiffer sentences, I do not think, is the solution. The government and us ALL, we need look at social policies and other ways of addressing the underlying problem(s). Those who advocate the death penalty and stiffer sentences are working on the premise that this will actually scare these criminal. In reality what we have is a breed of criminals that 'nuh fraid nobody or anything'. These things don't deter or affect them in the least.

The punishment for possession of guns and ammunition was increased a few years ago, as well as taking away the power of the magistrates to grant bail (which in effect meant that some persons were simply unable to apply for bail). Did this help matters? NO. Did this deter criminals? NO. Was there a reduction in gun offences? NO-actually the opposite!

On the point of the random searches, with its inherent conflict with the Constitution, I cannot give this my support. I appreciate that at this time many just want the police to 'get on with it' and are more interested in the end rather than the means. But the constitutional provisions are there for good cause and think about it--the same police that we chastise and who (sadly) many of us know are themselves on the wrong side of the law, do we really want to just arbitrarily hand over these extra powers to them? The scope for abuse with little to no checks/balance is too great, I say.

Derogation from the Constitution is only (somewhat) acceptable in limited circumstances, such as after the official declaration of a State of Emergency. Again, you will probably say well just declare it! But, to be fair, the government (as in any government of the day) must take into account far wider policy considerations before making such public and official declarations, the announcement of which for instance, could have more far reaching and adverse effects than this incident itself.

I agree with other posts that we will most certainly bounce back from this blow. Also, this incident was unfortunate but to put it in context, it is not a phenomenon which is being faced by Antigua alone. The crime increase is all over the region and beyond. To be honest, the yachts that have pulled out may even be jumping from the frying pan into the fire, because I know that both St. Martin and St. Kitts are also struggling with the crime wave.

So, what do we do? I say whatever little we can. You see a young person on the road late at night, you stop and inquire why. Same thing if you see a young person of school age on the street during school hours (I think in Barbados they are strict in enforcing the truancy laws-- perhaps we should take a leaf out of their book). Of course, with the total degeneration of morals and respect among the youth, you should anticipate a moderate to severe tongue lashing from the said young person. But it is a step.

As a community we need to go back to taking responsibility for each other, looking out for each other and playing our individual role in helping to raise the children of the village!

I have not lost hope though and with all the views expressed here, I am actually more confident that we can swiftly return Antigua to a safe paradise.

Nel

Back to top Go down

views on the latest visitor murder Empty Nel's Response

Post  phelana Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:25 pm

As a community we need to go back to taking responsibility for each other, looking out for each other and playing our individual role in helping to raise the children of the village!

Nel's response above captures this well. I completely agree Nel. The problem is systemic and has been increasing over the past 10 years from my observation. Gun crime was not an issue 15-20 years ago...the family system is faltering and programs are needed or current programs need to be increased. These damaged individuals are products of serious dysfunction. I doubt anyone here would have a child commit such a heinous crime.

Peace

phelana

http://www.antiguacaribbean.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum