Antigua - Beyond the beach
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Travel Climate

2 posters

Go down

Travel Climate Empty Travel Climate

Post  phelana Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:37 pm

I have been living, working and traveling to Wadadli for 21 years. I was married to an Antigua. My child holds an Antigua passport. I have strong island ties. I am on island 2-5 times a year. I own a US based travel agency that has brought thousands to ANU for the past 21 years. I support local vendors when marketing products on Bonaire. It's a labour of love.

Due to the climate economically (globally) and the recent horrific crime in the Summer of 08 I have seen a sharp decline in inquiries for Antigua travel.

For those on island, do you feel the goverment has done enough in way of damage control? Is there a new PR plan in place to attract tourism? After such a crime that received global attention I wonder did Min. Lovell and his cronies meet to come up with a mission statement and a plan to address this scar placed on our island?? What is being done to increase tourism?? I for one could use some support to bring folks back. Right now, it's looking grim.

Ann Phelan

phelana

http://www.antiguacaribbean.com

Back to top Go down

Travel Climate Empty Re: Travel Climate

Post  -eli- Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:42 pm

Ann, as you know from spending time on all the messageboards, nothing at all from the ministry or any part of the government was ever put up to help stop the fallout from the murders or any other problem we have had over the years. There seems to be a total lack of understanding when it comes to internet marketing and or internet PR. I couldn't believe it took them so long to listen to me and others about the old tourism site. That thing turned more people away from Antigua than it attracted, and despite people on that messageboard constantly bashing the PM and all of this ministers and officials they did nothing. It was totally obvious that not a single person within the ministry of tourism ever looked at their own forum which was promoted on every page of their (rented) www.antigua-barbuda.org site. After writing many letters to them without getting replies, I had to ask winston derrick to get on their case, and in the end they took down the http://www.geographia.com/cgi-bin/antiguanews/discus.pl forum as their main "news group" and put up www.antiguaforums.com in its place. I can not believe that they still havent taken it off the net. IT's still there bashing Antigua and turning people away. WEIRD, but true. How can the UPP be paying for the hosting of that site? This is just one of many examples of the trash on there?
The ruling United Progressive Party(UPP) and the Antigua Labor Party(ALP) are both on the attack. UPP's party color is blue, and the ALP's is red. The natives will be choosing between the dunces or the thieves.
It's like the internet isn't a priority for them because they don't understand it or even know it exists. Shocked

-eli-

http://www.adventureantigua.com

Back to top Go down

Post  phelana Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:19 pm

Thanks Eli. Actually I was not aware of what the government was or is doing to correct the fallout from the murders. The other forum really didn't seem to address it and I felt more comfortable posting my query here. It is sad for you to confirm NOTHING is being done.

I work with tourist boards in other islands including ANU. Other boards are informative and supportive. There are marketing campaigns and tourism programs aimed at enhancing the industry. I have no idea who is in charge in the ANU NY office or what's what. The new tourism board never replies to my emails. Several of the email addresses for overseas offices don't even work anymore. Whoever is funneling dollars into those offices should consider how they partner with agents such as myself. I would love a closer collaberation. When David Fernandez and Karen Knowles were in office I had referrals and attended trade shows. Now, I hear nothing. I have been a presence for 21 years and you'd never know it. It's not for a lack of trying on my part.

Lastly, I had a clients severely beaten in Jolly Harbour in June. It took a long time to connect with someone in Min. Lovell's office. His secretary was chilly and brushed me off. He finally replied when I cc'd his email to Gary Nelson and others. Gary immediately replied and was very helpful. It's a long story but the response to this was sorely lacking.

Ann Phelan

phelana

Back to top Go down

Travel Climate Empty Checking In

Post  phelana Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:40 am

How is the season so far? Hotel capacities? Dining rooms full?? Boats full?? I heard from one hotelier it looks grim and one boat owner reports its slow.

Bonaire is so so..

phelana

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum