Antigua - Beyond the beach
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Environmental policy of the UPP

5 posters

Go down

Environmental policy of the UPP Empty Environmental policy of the UPP

Post  Admin Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:41 am

A close adivisor and UPP supporter told me that the UPP doesn't have a real environmental policy. I see that on a daily basis. The ALP was no better. Why don't these guys seem to care? What do you think?

Admin
Admin

https://antigua.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Environmental policy of the UPP Empty Re: Environmental policy of the UPP

Post  -eli- Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:49 am

it's quite simple. The majority of voters don't care either so the guys running the country figure why bother. IF all leaders reacted this way we would still be in caves!!!! Strong leaders who historically made differences, the ones we speak about years after they have gone are the kind of leaders who take issues that are not being talked about and made them their issues. Wouldnt it be great if Antigua and Barbuda had a leader or leaders who took an incredibly important issue like the environment that not many people seem to care about and made it issue #1?
The reality is that a healthy reef system, healthy beaches, mangove habitats, protected "forrest" areas and beaches would mean a healthy future for our country. Without these things being looked after our country will never be healthy. It's so crazy that most other caribbean countries near us would love to have what we have had environmentally (i did say "had"). Imagine how much of a tourist attraction our reefs, beaches, mangroves, forrests would have been and could still be if they had been protected by the kind of management you see in other islands where their tiny bits and pieces are carefully protected.
Our leaders only look at what is directly in front of them.... I have never seen a leader with VISION in my lifetime in Antigua. It makes me so angry. Anywone remember the lovely glossy manifesto printed up by the UPP? Remember all the things they spoke about in there when it came to the environment? SAD SAD SAD. It could have been so easy to meet some of those promises. Instead they have taken what we all know today about the reefs, mangroves and other systems and ignored it all. It's not like they didn't know that trucking away sand from a beach could cause damage right? It's not like they didn't know that allowing a development to dig up mangroves would be a bad thing right? I can not support the ALP or the UPP if i judge their environmental policy, track record, or even their current promises or lack of them. Can't we get another party? If not let's hear one of them start changing their tune on environmental policy.

-eli-

http://www.adventureantigua.com

Back to top Go down

Environmental policy of the UPP Empty Environment

Post  queen Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:54 am

They dont care,that is it in a nut shell......what was it that Bro B told the enviromental people..?..."IF ANYBADY TAP ME FROM DO WAH ME AH DO DOWN FFRYES...ME CHAP THEM UP"...that is the level of ignorance you are dealing with...he puts on a big heavy suit that makes him sweat like a pig, throws on some bling,has a personal driver and thinks that all these things make him smart...at the end of the day, they are only care about their pocket.By way the did Bro B finish his secondary education..??

queen

Back to top Go down

Environmental policy of the UPP Empty It gets in the way of profit

Post  ASL Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:09 pm

Sad to say and this is the case in many countries protecting the enviroment and making a quick buck do not go hand in hand. If you look at larger countries it is only recently that most of them are taking the preservation of their enviroment seriously. Look at the US. Large developers and and some building departments are pushing to incorporate LEED (Leadership in energy and enviromental design) into their designs and building codes. LEED provides guidelines on how to be responsible when developing land and any size project. It's a great thing BUT most are using it as a reason to increase the cost of construction and arch. services.

This is something that would be wonderful for Antigua. For those who are curious please check it on Google or whatever search engine you prefer.

A program like this would not only benefit Antigua but it will be a great way to increase overseas intrest in our little country. It would also provide more work for our local businesses as well as trigger the developement of new businesses. If either party really had any sense they would truly consider something like this. Like I said it will make the country more attractive to many outsiders as well as stimulate our economy. More money for all. I suspect we will see foriegn developers and realtors coming in and doing this. WE should be doing this ourselves. Our local builders, architects, engineers and building department should join together and make this a standard part of land developement in Antigua. If the government thinks it is too much of a bother than the people should do it on their own. If you build a house, hotel, any sort of building then you should take it upon yourself to do your part in helping our enviroment. Governments change, rise and fall. It is our responsibility to do what we can. We can't always look to lay the responsibility on someone else's shoulders. One step at a time. One Antiguan at a time.

Abena

ASL

Back to top Go down

Post  antiguan Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:27 am

history shows that in every country on the planet, only government rules can take a country towards an solid environmental path. Hoping against hope that all developers will just be environmental supporters isn't going to work. IT will have about the same chance as telling the people that we don't need police and to just try to be good people and not break any laws.

antiguan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum